William Pulteney commisioned the bridge to be built,
connecting Bath with the newly built Georgian estate of
Bathwick, which had been inherited by his wife in 1767.
It stood for only 20 years in its original condition before
being severly damaged by floods requiring a complete
rebuild. Unimaginably today, it was suggested to be
replaced with a single span cast iron bridge before they
eventually settled on a less ambitious version of the
In 1903 the bridge suffered major change again as the
western end was shortened to allow for Grand Parade to
This is evident today as the bridge is not symmetrical
when viewed from the weir side as the central peak is
closer to Grand Parade.